Lemons are one of the most effective remedies for naturally lightening age spots as well as freckles and other dark spots on the skin. They contain citric acid that helps by safely removing dead skin cells to reveal new layers of skin, similar to some medical procedures, while also providing a healthy glow.
Reminder before using lemons: Do not go out in the sun right after applying, as that can actually cause the skin to darken more than it was before. Be aware that if you have extra sensitive skin, lemons can cause irritation and redness. Consider other remedies.
Here’s what to do with lemons:
- Slice up your lemon.
- Rub one of the slices onto your age spots.
- Allow the juice to sit for about 15 minutes before rinsing.
- Store remaining slices in the refrigerator for later use.
- For the best results, repeat the process twice each day until age spots diminish.
Onions can be effective for age spots as they contain sulfur compounds which serve as an antiseptic, as well as acids that help to exfoliate the skin. While the smell isn’t exactly pleasant, this is a great remedy for those who find lemons or vinegar too irritating.
Here’s what to do:
- Slice up the onion and rub it over affected areas two to three times daily.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse well, until the odor has dissipated.
- For greater effectiveness, mix a tablespoon of onion juice with two tablespoons of honey and follow the same instructions.