7. Fight Cellular Damage
Consumption of at least 16 milligrams of lycopene every day reduces the amount of free radicals in the body to give you a youthful skin. It fights cellular damage and reddening of the skin and also retains the moisture, thus preventing fine lines and wrinkles. This property of tomato makes it an amazing anti-aging product.
8. Natural Bleaching Agent
Tomato is considered as a natural bleaching agent and is very helpful in lightening the skin tone.
- Prepare a face pack by mixing 1 teaspoon of oatmeal, 1 teaspoon of yogurt and 2 teaspoons of tomato pulp.
- Apply it on the face and neck and leave it for 20 minutes. Oatmeal will gently exfoliate the skin, while yogurt and tomato will help to clear the blemishes. This improves the complexion.
9. Prevent Sunburn
According to Prevention Magazine, people who consumed five tablespoons of tomato paste daily for three consecutive months were naturally protected against sunburn. Sun burnt skin can also be treated by applying tomato on the affected parts.
- Make a pack by mixing 2 teaspoons of tomato pulp with 1 teaspoon of yogurt. Apply this on the face, neck, hands, and feet.
- Tomato cools the skin while yogurt provides a protein boost to make the skin soft and supple.
10. Smooth Skin
Mix honey with tomato juice to make a thick paste. Apply it on the face and wash it off after 15 minutes to get a smooth and glowing skin.
11. Remove Dead Skin Cells
Tomatoes can greatly help you to remove dead skin cells.
- Grind tomatoes in a mixer with the seeds and add 1 teaspoon of sugar to it.
- Apply it on the face and massage gently in circular motion.
You can also cut 1 tomato into 2 halves and sprinkle some sugar on it. Gently scrub your skin with it to do away with dead skin cells and get a clean and fresh looking skin.
Tat.com.tr. (2017). Benefit of Tomato For Skin – Beauty Secrets of Tomato | Tat. [online] Available at: http://www.tat.com.tr/en/healthy-red/the-beauty-secrets-of-tomato [Accessed 8 Apr. 2017].
Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. (2017). Tomato-A Natural Medicine and Its Health Benefits [online] Available at: http://www.phytojournal.com/vol1Issue1/Issue_may_2012/3.pdf [Accessed 8 Apr. 2017].
Bbc.co.uk. (2017). BBC – Science & Nature – Tomatoes and Skin Protection. [online] Available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/young/tomatoes.shtml [Accessed 8 Apr. 2017].
Mail Online. (2012). Tomatoes ‘help keep skin young’ and protect against sunburn. [online] Available at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2155595/Tomatoes-help-skin-young-protect-sunburn.html [Accessed 8 Apr. 2017].